About the project
The scarecrow is a model based on a very old character I did a years ago. The original scarecrow was in fact, one of the first characters I made in 3D. I used a 3D modeling software called Wings and followed the box modeling technique to build the entire character.
For this new take on my old work I used ZBrush to sketch the head using Dynamesh. I used 3 or 4 settings of fibremesh but I kept a low number of sub-tools (head, hat, eyes and dreadlocks). With BPR, I rendered various passes, that I combined after in Photoshop with the original background.
This project also presented me with the challenge of creating dreadlocks in ZBrush. After I finished with this illustration, I started to experiment with fibremesh, refining the process of creating dreadlocks, resulting in my eBook tutorial: Dreadlocks with fibermesh.